8/10/21 UPDATE: This position has been filled.
Elliot Park Neighborhood, Inc. (EPNI) builds community vitality by connecting & empowering neighbors. Since 1976, EPNI has served the community through a number of resident-led projects and initiatives. Currently, EPNI is focused on securing access to food, encouraging renter participation in decisions that affect housing stability, and navigating safety challenges. We seek a self-motivated, compassionate, and energized individual to join our small team in working with the vibrant Elliot Park community. The Community Organizer will focus on outreach and engagement to residents of the neighborhood, with particular focus on engaging historically marginalized communities. Learn more about our organization at www.elliotpark.org.
Job Type: 20 hours per week, flexible schedule with 1-3 evenings/Saturdays per week.
Salary: $17-20 per hour, depending on candidate qualifications and experience
Benefits: Paid-time off and 3% SIMPLE IRA match
Reports to: Executive Director
- Plan and implement a variety of community engagement strategies, including door-knocking, to ensure residents are informed and invited to participate in EPNI activities
- Build relationships with residents and encourage collective power to create positive change
- Recruit volunteers and cultivate leaders for initiatives, committees, and board service
- Support EPNI meetings & events
- Perform miscellaneous administrative tasks
Training: EPNI will support the professional development of the Community Organizer through training in outreach and engagement best practices. Attending the Neighborhoods Now! training with the Center for Urban and Regional Affairs (CURA) will be required.
- Fluent in Somali and English (written & spoken)
- Previous experience in community engagement and door-knocking
- Proven track record of organizing and motivating people to accomplish mutually agreed upon goals
- Strong people skills, integrity and the ability to speak with confidence and authority on behalf of the neighborhood
- Excellent personal accountability, self-motivation and follow through skills
- Able to work evenings and weekends (1-3 evenings per week)
- Able to lift 40 pounds, use stairs and walk/work in a variety of weather conditions
- Access to transportation to attend meetings inside and outside of neighborhood
- Strong computer skills (Microsoft Office programs) and administrative organization
How to Apply
EPNI is an equal opportunity employer. EPNI will not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, disability, color, creed, religion, ancestry, sex, national origin, affectional preference or sexual orientation, citizenship, age, veteran status, marital status or status with regard to public assistance.